Pages

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

I'm a Little Teapot

These cookies were for a bridal shower last weekend. I'd be lying if I didn't admit that they stressed me out a little. The client asked for teapots and teacups. No problem there. Then she said that the wedding colors were purple and peach. Not a problem, but I knew the colors would clash if I didn't get the them right. I'm a pretty anal, so the colors had to be just right. Thankfully, the client was happy with the cookies and their colors. Phew!

This was my first time making using fondant. Normally, I steer clear from all things cake related. I'm in awe of cake bakers. Check out Haniela and LilaLoa if you want to see amazing cake artists. However I don't have a strong desire to try to do it myself. It's probably because I don't really care for the taste cake (I'm weird, I know) and my husband isn't a big fan either. With cookies, I can easily find homes for my creations, but I think it would be a little harder with cakes. Not having made many cakes in my life, I was new to the fondant arena. If you don't know what fondant is, it's that smooth stuff you see on any Martha Stewart cake. I've always heard that fondant tasted awful so I never bothered trying it out. Then a few months ago, I read about marshmallow fondant that was pretty tasty from the blog Bake 350. Not only tasty, it's easy and cheap to make yourself. Score! In the midst of baking teacups and teapots, I made fondant. Bridget of Bake 350 was right, it's pretty easy to make. The tip about keeping Crisco close by was very helpful. Also if you're planning to color your fondant be sure to have disposable gloves, especially if you're using Wilton gel paste. Coloring the fondant took a little time, patience and muscle. I swear cake bakers must have monster muscles. I used little fondant/cookie cutters to make the dainty purple, peach and white flowers. Full disclosure, I love caffeine. No really, you don't understand how much I love it. Hot tea, iced tea, hot coffee, iced coffee, I'm an equal opportunity drinker. I could drink it all day. I also love very sweet tea with a ridiculous amount of lemon (that's a topic for another day). If I used real sugar in my beverages, my bathroom scale would be unhappy. Plus I wouldn't have sugar on hand for more important things like cookies. Hence there's blue and pink sugar in my sugar bowl. Over the years, I've tweeked the amount of blue and pink sugar I use in drinks. It takes 3 blue packets and 1 pink packet for the perfect glass/cup of tea.
Isn't this china pretty? It was a gift from a dear family friend and it's china with Chinese images.

Thanks to LilaLoa for inspiring me to make these little fondant flowers.

2 comments:

  1. Really pretty!!! did you put the fondant directly onto the cookie? I've always been afraid to try it-I keep thinking it will come off. (pretty silly of me I know) Well done! and love the china too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Lizy! I love the china too. ;-) The silver colored china is called Parchment by Mikaasa. As for the fondant, I put a little bit of icing on the back of each flower. You could use corn syrup to act like a glue as well.

    ReplyDelete